The Universal Account Number (UAN) is essential for EPF account holders since the whole procedure related to the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) services is now conducted online. With UAN, you may effortlessly access your PF account services such as withdrawals, EPF balance monitoring without the requirement for an employer, and PF loan application. This article will teach you all you need to know about your UAN.
UAN Last Update
- The PF interest rates have been adjusted. The interest rate on EPF contributions for fiscal year 2020-21 is 8.5 percent.
- The Union Budget for 2021 has come to a conclusion.
- If the total contribution to the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) and Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF) exceeds Rs 2.5 lakh in a financial year, the income gained on excess contributions is taxed.
- For government employees, the maximum wage ceiling is Rs 5 lakh.
What is uan number?
|UAN Full Form in EPFO is Universal Account Number (UAN)|
A 12-digit universal account number, or UAN, is assigned to every employee who contributes to the EPF. It is generated and distributed by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), and it is authenticated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment of the Government of India. Regardless of how many roles a person has, his or her UAN remains the same throughout his or her career.
When an employee moves employers, EPFO gives a new member identity number or EPF Account (ID) that is linked to the UAN. An employee can obtain a new member ID by submitting the UAN to a new employer. Following the creation of the member ID, it is linked to the employee’s UAN. As a result, the UAN will operate as a single point of contact for the employee’s many member IDs provided by different firms.
The UAN remains the same and is transferable throughout an employee’s tenure. When changing jobs, the person must create a new member ID. All of these member IDs are linked to the employee’s UAN to make EPF transfers and withdrawals easy.
What’s the best way to figure out what your UAN is?
As an employer.
Your firm will normally supply you with a Universal Account Number, according to the EPFO. On some pay stubs, the UAN number is also printed.
Using the UAN portal and the member’s PF number.
If you can’t acquire your Universal Account Number from your employer, you can get it via the UAN website. Simply follow the steps below to get started:
• Step 1: To access the UAN portal, navigate to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
• Step 2: Choose ‘Know your UAN’ from the drop-down menu. The following page will be shown.
• Step 3: Provide your registered cellphone number and captcha for verification. From the drop-down option, choose ‘Request OTP.’
• Step 4: Verify your identification by providing your name, date of birth, PAN/Aadhaar/member ID, and captcha. Click the ‘Show my UAN’ option once you’ve input all of your information.
• Step 5: Your phone number will receive a PIN. After inputting the PIN, click the ‘Validate OTP and receive UAN’ button.
• Step 6: Your Universal Account Number will be sent to you through text message.
How can I use my UAN to activate and log in to the EPFO member site using my UAN?
To activate UAN, you’ll need your Universal Account Number and PF member ID. The following are the steps to activate UAN on the EPFO portal:
• Step 1: Go to the EPFO website and click on ‘For Employees’ under ‘Services’ on the dashboard.
• Step 2: Select ‘Member UAN/Online services’ from the services menu. The UAN gateway will be opened for you.
• Step 3: Select ‘Activate UAN’ from the vital links section. Your UAN/member ID/PAN/Aadhaar number, as well as your name, DOB, mobile number, and email address (if available), as well as the captcha characters, must all be entered. Click the ‘Get authorization PIN’ button to get an authorization PIN. The PIN will be sent to the phone number you provided during registration.
Step 4: Under the disclaimer checkbox, choose ‘I Agree,’ then input the OTP issued to your phone number and select ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN.’
You will receive a password to access your account after registering your UAN on your registered cellphone number.
UAN (Unique Account Number) Importance
The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12-digit identification. This number is assigned by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). This number is given to both the employer and the employee (one to each) in order for them to contribute to the EPF account. The UAN number identifies and protects the Employee Provident Fund (EPF). Even if you have many PF accounts set up for you by different employers, each one will have its own UAN number.
• An employee’s Universal Account Number (UAN) stays the same for the duration of his or her employment with the firm; • An employee’s UAN stays the same throughout his or her career.
• The UAN for the company remains the same for the life of the company’s existence.
When you change occupations, the EPFO will assign you a new identification number (ID), which you must link to your previous UAN (EPFO account). You must tell your employer and either complete the relevant steps on the EPFO website yourself or have your employer do so on your behalf.
The purpose of a UAN number, its advantages and features, how to check/find your UAN number, the papers you’ll need, how to generate a UAN, how to activate your UAN, UAN portal features, how to link your UAN to your Aadhaar data, and frequently asked questions are all covered in this post.
Why was a UAN number created in the first place?
You will be granted a Unique Identification Number if you deposit a percentage of your monthly earnings to the EPF account. Previously, each employee was given a unique yet distinct number for each Provident Fund account held by a group of enterprises.
• However, employees may now access their EPF account more easily thanks to the introduction of the UAN number on October 1, 2014.
• This is because, regardless of how many times you change professions over your career, the UAN number allows you to manage all of your PF accounts from a single platform.
• Even if you were employed prior to 2014, you can utilize the UAN to move your PF account.
• As a consequence, you have secure and convenient access to your PF accounts, and you no longer need to remember passwords or account information as you did before the UAN’s introduction.
Benefits and Features of the UAN Number
The Universal Account Number has the following characteristics and benefits:
• Using UAN, you can find all of your PF account information in one place. It also brings all PF and KYC data together on a single platform.
• Employers can look up your Provident Fund history using your Universal Account Number.
• It’s simple to activate your UAN number using your bank account and personal details.
• You can use this unique number to transfer and withdraw PF monies at any time.
• You and your employer can manage your PF account using the UAN online interface.
• Using the UAN portal, your employer can examine and validate your PF request. The employer can also appropriately submit the PF deduction/contribution here.
• Because your UAN account is linked to your KYC information, it is only accessible to you as an employee.
• This number is separate from all employers and acts as a unique identification for you.
• UAN allows you to keep track of your PF balance, status, claims, and more, effectively managing your whole PF account.
• Using this identification number, you may keep track of the amount credited by the employer each month, as well as deductions and accumulated interest.
How UAN has simplified the process of withdrawing and transferring funds.
When an employee moves employment, he can choose to withdraw or transfer his funds. However, most people did not use their PF since the process was so time consuming. Since the launch of UAN, the job has been made simpler in the following ways: -.
• You may link all of your PF accounts with your UAN.
• You must present your UAN to the employer after the KYC verification, and you can manage your account online after that.
• On your mobile phone, you receive a monthly report on contributions made by your business into your PF account.
• The employer’s participation is decreased when a PF account is linked to a UAN.
• Withdrawals are minimized since UAN makes it easier to consolidate all PF accounts.
How has UAN made managing your EPF easier?
The UAN may help you manage your PF account in a variety of ways:
• The UAN is helpful or transferable throughout an employee’s career. Because all of your previous accounts are linked to a single UAN, you may offer your UAN and PF account information to a variety of employers.
• You can receive a UAN card by becoming an EPFO member.
• Employees may upload scanned KYC documents to the site, which can be checked by the employer.
• The UAN can also be used to trace claim transfers on the EPFO website.
• You may check your PF balance using your UAN by downloading the passbook from EPFO’s website.
• Because of the universal PF account link, the UAN simplifies the maintenance of PF accounts by removing the need for withdrawals.
How do I transfer EPF accounts using my UAN?
The mechanism for transferring a PF account utilizing the UAN is as follows:
• Check your PF eligibility and make sure all of your current and previous employers’ information is available on EPFO’s website.
• Make the digital signature publicly available on the internet.
• You must first register an account on the EPFO website in order to file a transfer online.
• After logging into the EPF member portal, select the option to transfer your account.
• Fill out all three sections of the application.
• After selecting the attesting authority and member ID/UAN, click “Get OTP.”
• An OTP will be sent to your registered telephone number. Enter this OTP to continue.
• Your form will be mailed, and a tracking number will be provided.
• Fill out and submit the transfer paperwork to your current employer.
What is the best way to find out what your UAN number is?
Your UAN number can be obtained via your employer or the UAN Portal. Wage slips frequently have the Universal Account Number printed on them, so you may look for it in this document.
1) Contact Your Employer:
To find out more about your UAN, contact your employer or the HR department of the organization. The deduction from your pay for PF contributions will usually appear on your wage slip in the salary computation.
2) UAN Portal:
Log in to the Unified Portal using your credentials.
• Next, provide your PAN and Aadhaar numbers, as well as any other required information, under ‘Know Your UAN Status.’
• You may even use the organization’s member ID to fill out a form.
• If you give the PF number or member ID, select the EPFO office and state from the dropdown menu, then submit.
• You may also find up your UAN using your PAN or Aadhaar number.
• Other information will be requested, such as your name, date of birth, telephone number, and captcha code.
• From the drop-down option, choose ‘Get Authorization PIN.’ Now input the PIN that was supplied to your cellphone.
• You’ll receive the information through SMS to your registered mobile phone when you select ‘See the UAN number.’
Documents that can be used to generate UAN numbers.
You must supply the following papers in order for the Universal Account Number to be generated:
• Your Aadhaar card and PAN card • Your bank account number, branch name, and IFSC code
• Proof of address (any government-issued document, such as a photo ID, ration card, or other government-issued document)
• Identification proof (any government-issued document, such as a voter ID card, a driver’s license, a passport, or an Aadhar card).
• An ESIC card if you have an ESIC account.
What is the procedure for obtaining a UAN number?
The two procedures for acquiring the UAN number are as follows:
• Company-Generated UAN: When you start your first job, your employer will generate your UAN number. The company will ask for a few paperwork for a one-time operation. The UAN number will remain constant for the remainder of one’s life or for the duration of one’s working years after it is generated.
• Self-generated UAN Number: You can create your own Universal Account Number if your employer does not follow the appropriate procedures but still contributes to your PF account. To get the desired results, simply follow the steps mentioned above.
What is the process for getting a UAN number activated?
You can activate the UAN after it has been generated as follows:
• Select ‘Activate UAN’ from the UAN gateway.
• To activate the Universal Account Number, you must enter the UAN, PAN, and Aadhaar numbers.
• Also, fill out the form with your personal information and phone number, as directed on the page.
• A verification pin will be sent to your registered mobile number.
• After entering this pin, click ‘Authorize and Activate.’
• The EPFO app may be used to activate this number. Download the Unified Mobile Application for the New-Age Generation (UMANG).
• All UAN services are included in this app. To download, go to the app store, call 9718397183 for a missed call, or text EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899. Respond to the following SMS by selecting the appropriate option. After this step, you will know the status of UAN activation.
What Services Are Available Through the UAN Portal?
The UAN functionalities offered on the Unified Portal are as follows:
• To see if you qualify, use the UAN eligibility checker.
• Obtain a duplicate of the UAN Card.
• Make a list of all of your former employers’ and organizations’ member IDs.
• You may view and download the UAN Passbook.
• Request a PF withdrawal, a transfer, a balance check, or a claim for a partial withdrawal.
• You have the option to update your KYC at any moment.
• Establish a connection between UAN and Aadhaar.
• Make adjustments to your personal data.
UAN Helpdesk is a service that UAN offers.
A separate UAN helpdesk is available on EPFO’s website, with multiple sections dedicated to various visitor difficulties. The two primary categories are Help and Claim. Employees and employers can utilize ‘Help’ to acquire information on EPFO offices, UANs, services, and grievances, among other things. ‘Claim,’ on the other hand, caters to the many claim forms that users have access to, such as the Composite Claim Form (Aadhar) and so on.
Members may get solutions to their inquiries and problems at this help desk, which is open 24 hours a day.
A compilation of commonly asked questions on what is UAN
Q) How is UAN distributed?
Ans: UAN is assigned when an employee joins the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO).
Q) Is it feasible for me to have two unique identifiers (UANs)?
Ans: No, each employee is given only one UAN, which can be used at any eligible firm.
Is a unique identifier (UAN) necessary for online claims?
Ans: Yes, you need a UAN to file online claims.
Q) Is the UAN of the employee linked to his or her PAN?
Ans: Yes, there is a link between the UAN and the PAN.
Q) Will your employer remove your EPF amount if you change jobs?
Ans: This is not feasible since the amount in EPF accounts is linked to the UAN, which is transferable across all qualified employers.
Q) What is the purpose of generating UANs?
Ans: A Universal Account Number is assigned to Provident Fund Account holders. The PF system is overseen by the Employee Provident Fund Organization. Employers can obtain it through the Occupational Training and Certification Program (OTCP) (Online Transfer Claim Portal).
Q) Can you update your email address or phone number through the UAN member portal?
Ans: To alter your UAN’s telephone number and email address, go to the Unified Portal and login. Then, from the profile menu, select ‘Edit Email ID’ or ‘Edit Mobile No’, depending on whether you want to update your email address or phone number. Complete the modified information and submit the form.
Q) How do UAN members use the e-Sewa site to upload their KYC?
Ans: Go to the UAN site and click ‘Update KYC Information’ in the Profile tab to update your KYC information. You’ll be able to upload your KYC documents from your local device after that. After the employer verifies these documents, your KYC status will be confirmed. Until then, the KYC status will be Pending.
Q) What happens to your UAN if you move jobs?
Ans: When you change employment, you must provide your new employer your UAN. The employer has linked the new PF account to it. The UAN remains the same throughout an employee’s tenure.
Q) On the UAN card, what information is stored?
Ans: The universal account number, as well as KYC details, are printed on the front of the UAN card (if validated by the employer). On the back of the card, the most recent five-digit member id and EPFO helpdesk contact numbers are displayed.
Q) How can I connect my old EPF accounts to my UAN account?
Ans: Once your current EPF account is connected to your UAN, you may go online and link all of your previous EPF accounts, as well as monitor the progress of transfer requests.
Q) What should I do if I’m given two UANs?
Ans: In this instance, the employee must promptly notify the EPFO helpdesk. The old UAN is disabled when all of the relevant verification is completed.
Q) What can you do if your EPF card has incorrect information?
Ans: By producing proper documentation to your current employer, you can modify your father’s name, your name, or your DOB. The same information can also be provided to the EPFO helpdesk in order to have the appropriate adjustments made to the UAN card.
Q) How can I link my Aadhar card to my UAN?
Ans: Aadhar and UAN can be linked in a variety of ways. To link Aadhar, you can utilize the Umang App, biometric credentials on the EPFO’s e-KYC Portal, or OTP verification on the EPFO’s e-KYC Portal.
Q) What should you do if your UAN update is still pending at the field office?
Ans: Authorities can sometimes cause delays in the UAN updating procedure. You can, however, contact the relevant commissioner or file a complaint on the EPFIGMS site.
Q) Is it possible to transfer EPF from one UAN to another?
Ans: You can transfer EPF from one UAN to another via the UAN site.
• Sign in to your existing UAN account.
• Choose ‘One EPF account per member.’
• Fill in the preceding UAN information.
• Request employer verification by clicking here.
Q) How can I check the status of my UAN online?
Ans: EPFO members can use the portal to monitor the progress of their UAN application by entering their state and EPFO account number. You may find out about your UAN status by going to Our Services>For Employees>Member UAN/Online Service>Know UAN Status.
Q) Why is my UAN KYC application still pending?
Ans: The supporting documents are typically evaluated and authorized within 3 to 5 days. You can make a complaint or contact the regional EPFO officer through the assistance desk online or by calling 1800 118 005 if your UAN KYC has been delayed for more than 7-8 days.
Q) What should I do if I forget my UAN?
Ans: If you’ve linked your UAN to your Aadhar or PAN card, you can get it back. Go to EPFO’s main page and choose “For Employees>Member UAN/Online Service” from the drop-down menu. Check the status of your UAN> Fill in the blanks> Select ‘Get Authorization Pin’ from the drop-down menu. Get your OTP and agree to the terms and conditions by clicking the button.
Q) Can your employer view the EPFO’s UANs issued to employees?
Ans: On the UAN member site, every employer can check the UANs assigned to his or her employees. He must go to the ‘UAN Menu’ and choose ‘Download UAN List.’ After that, the employer may view and download the assigned Universal Account Numbers for its employees in PDF format.
The content on this website is meant only for general information purpose and does not and shall not be construed as any solicitation, procurement, display, aggregation, marketing or advertisement of insurance products. Loanpersonal.in is not an insurance intermediary and hence does not endorse or solicit any such products. The information on this website is derived from publicly available sources and Loanpersonal.in cannot verify or confirm the genuineness, truth, veracity or authenticity of this information.
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply Loanpersonal.in’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.